Full Professor in Mathematical Physics at the Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, Physical Sciences and Earth Sciences (MIFT) of the University of Messina, Italy.
Address: Viale F. Stagno d'Alcontres 31, 98166 Messina, Italy
Phone. +39 090 6765088; E-mail: foliveri @ unime . it
Graduated cum laude on November 22nd, 1982 in Biological Sciences at the University of Messina.
Graduated cum laude in Mathematics on March 5th, 1985 at the University of Messina.
Ph.D. in Mathematics on December 20th, 1990 defending a doctoral thesis titled "Analysis of invariance groups and similarity solutions of partial differential equations".
November 1st, 1989 to October 31st, 1990: Research grant of the "Istituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica".
November 1st, 1990 - October 31st, 1999: Assistant Professor in Mathematical Physics at the Faculty of Mathematical Physical and Natural Sciences of the University of Messina.
November 1st, 1999 - October 31st, 2001: Associate Professor in Mathematical Physics at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Basilicata.
November 1st, 2001 - Present: Full Professor in Mathematical Physics at the University of Messina.
Since 1986: member of National Group of Mathematical Physics (G.N.F.M.) of the "Istituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica" (I.N.d.A.M.).
2004-2012: Head of Doctoral School in Mathematics at the University of Messina.
2012-2015: Head of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Messina.
Since 2014 member of Doctoral School in Mathematics and Computer Science (Catania, Messina and Palermo Universities).
July 2016--June 2017: Member of the Board of Directors of ERSU - Messina.
Member of the Accademia Peloritana dei Pericolanti (Messina, Italy).
Member of many selection boards for Ordinario, Associato and Ricercatore Positions in Italy in the Scientific Group of Mathematical Physics.
MAIN RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Theory and applications of Lie group analysis of ordinary and partial differential equations.
- Thermomechanics of continua (also with microstructure).
- Nonlinear wave propagation.
- Operatorial models for classical systems.
- Computer algebra (Reduce, Mathematica, Maple, Sagemath).
- Programming (C)
- Computational statistics.
Author of more than 100 scientific papers in Mathematical Physics and Applied Mathematics published on internations journals and of a book (in Italian) titled "Algoritmi e Programmazione in C", published by Aracne Editrice, Roma, 2009. Also author of the Italian translation of the book "Surreal numbers" by D. E. Knuth, edited by FrancoAngeli Editore, 2016.
Referee for many journals (among the others: Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Nonlinear Dynamics, Internationa Journal of Engineering Science, Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, Journal of Mathematical Physics, International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, Journal of Physics A, Acta Mechanica, Meccanica, Acta Applicandae Mathematicae, Chaos, Journal of Nonlinear Mathematical Physics, International Journal of Theoretical Physics, Symmetry, Mathematics, Ricerche di Matematica).
Advisor of 8 doctoral theses in Mathematics and 1 doctoral thesis in Statistics.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the workshop "Quantum Mechanics: Analysis and Ideas" (Messina, Italy; September 19,2018).
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the International Symposium on "Micro to macro mathematical modelling in soil mechanics” (Reggio Calabria, Italy; May 29 - June 01, 2018),
- Member of the Scientific Committee of "4th Conference on Recent Trends in Nonlinear Phenomena" (Messina, Italy; September 18-20, 2017).
- Chairman of the conference M2FM3A, I Metodi e i Modelli della Fisica Matematica e la Moderna Matematica Applicata (Messina, 28-29 November 2014).
- Chairman of the conference IPERME11, XIV Incontro Nazionale sui Problemi di Tipo Iperbolico (Messina, 16-18 February 2011).
- Member of the Organizing Committee of IUTAM-ISIMM Symposium on "Mathematical Modeling and Physical Instances of Granular Flows" (Reggio Calabria, 14-18 September 2009).
- Member of the Scientific Committee of CASC (Computer Algebra in Scientific Computing), 2002 (Yalta, Crimea) and 2003 (Passau, Germania) editions.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of "Granular Matter: Mathematical Modeling and Physical Instances" (Reggio Calabria, 25-29 June 2005).
- Member of the Organizing Committee of WASCOM 99 (10th International Conference on Waves and Stability in Continuous Media, Vulcano, 7-12 June 1999).
- Member of the Organizing Committee of "Nonlinear Hyperbolic Problems: Theoretical, Applied and Computational Aspects" (Taormina, 3-8 April 1992).
- Editor (with A. Donato) of the volume "Nonlinear Hyperbolic Problems: Theoretical, Applied and Computational Aspects". Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, vol. 43, Vieweg, Wien, 1993.
- Editor (with V. Ciancio, A. Donato e S. Rionero) of the volume "Proceedings Wascom 99, 10th International Conference on Waves and Stability Analysis in Continuous Media", World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, 2001.
- Coordinator of several Local Research Projects of the University of Messina.
- Member of a PRIN Project 2000, Coordinator Prof. T. Ruggeri (Non Linear Mathematical Problems of Wave Propagation and Stability in Models of Continuous Media).
- Member of a PRIN Project 2003, Coordinator Prof. Ruggeri (Nonlinear Mathematical Problems of Wave Propagation and Stability in Models of Continuous Media).
- Local Coordinator of a PRIN Project 2005, Coordinator Prof. T. Ruggeri (Nonlinear Propagation and Stability in Thermodynamical Processes of Continuous Media).
INVITED TALKS AND LECTURES (recent)
- Workshop on "Integrable Nonlinear Equations" (Mikulov, Cech Republic, 18-24 October 2015).
- XVIII International conference on "Waves and Stability in Continuous Media" (Cetraro, Italy, 1--5 June 2015).
- "Seventh China-Italy Colloquium on Applied Mathematics" (Cinisi, Italy, 8--11 September 2014).
- "Symmetry and Perturbation Theory 2014" (Cala Gonone, Italy, 25-30 June 2014).
- 5 seminars in the Compact Course on "Lie group analysis" organized by prof. L. A. Bordag in Zittau, Germany (14-27 October 2013).
- XVII International conference on "Waves and Stability in Continuous Media" (Levico, Italy, 17--21 June 2013).
- XVI International conference on "Waves and Stability in Continuous Media" (Brindisi, Italy, 12--18 June 2011).
- "Symmetry and Perturbation Theory 2011" (Otranto, Italy, 6--11 June 2011).
- "Geometry and Symmetry of Differential Equations" (Santa Marinella, Italy 17--22 May 2010).
- "Fifth China-Italy Colloquium on Applied Mathematics" (Acireale, Italy, 27--30 September 2010).
- 6 lectures in the advanced course "Lie symmetries of differential equations and applications" at the XXXIV Summer School of Mathematical Physics (Ravello, Italy, September 2009).
- IPERBA, 13th Meeting on Hyperbolic Equations (Bari, Italy, 11--13 February 2009).
- XIV International Conference on ``Waves and Stability in Continuous Media'' (Scicli, Italy, 29 June -- 6 July 2007).
- "Symmetry and Perturbation Theory 2007" (Otranto, Italy, 2--9 June 2007).
- "Asymptotic Methods in Nonlinear Wave Phenomena" (Mondello, Italy, 5--7 June 2006).
The teaching activity, at the University of Messina and at the University
of Basilicata, covers various topics in the fields of Mathematical Physics,
Applied Mathematics, Computer Programming, Theory of Algorithms and Computer Algebra.
It also includes many series of lectures devoted to Ph.D. students of the University of Messina, University of Basilicata and University of Salento.
Moreover, an advanced course on "Lie symmetries of differential equations and applications" has been taught at XXXIV Summer School of Mathematical Physics in Ravello (Italia), 14-19 Settembre 2009.